Thursday, July 29, 2010

All in a Day's Work

I can't believe it is here already, but I guess it is time to face the music...
My oldest baby starts school in Five days!

I took her for her Kindergarten Assessment today.
But I spent yesterday getting this little beauty ready...



That's right, Ladies!  It only took me a day!  Okay, maybe some of you more experienced friends out there are laughing right now.  I know, I know, simple.  But I'm pretty proud of myself, okay?  I'm a bit of a bumbling idiot still when it comes to the sewing machine.

These, however, come a little easier to me...



So simple and so cute!  I just cut a flower out of the fabric scraps, sewed it to a felt backing and a clip, and Voila!



All of the teachers and aides at the school kept telling Dakota how cute her dress was.  And do you know what my amazing girl said in return?  "Thanks.  My Mommy made it!"  I can't tell you  how proud I am of this little girl!

You can find the pattern for this dress here.  It is a free pattern from oliver + s.  The pattern can be used for sizes 2-8.  For Dakota's dress, I used the 6 for the width, but the 7 for the length.

I'm entering this dress into this weeks contest at
Visit thecsiproject.com
Wish me luck!

Oh my gosh!  Thanks everyone for the support!  I was the most viewed link over at

Which means I get to sport this awesome new button!

Thanks Mandy, for featuring me!

24 comments:

  1. What a cute dress! I wish I could make something like that for my little girls, but I have clue how to sew. The first day of Kindergarten was tough, but it gets easier. I'm a new follower. I hope you have a fabulous weekend! And you have time swing by tomorrow and join our first ever Spotlight Blog Hop.

    Kel
    www.betweenthelines-kel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is too cute and photogenic. I for one, am impressed with your dress. I am a new follower from FF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's beautiful!!! Your love shines from her eyes.

    I'm a new follower from Friday Follow, looking forward to reading more. My daughter starts three day pre-school soon and kindergarten next year *sigh*.

    Nice to meet you! I hope you'll follow me back. I have a special giveaway for followers right now, stop by and enter, the prize is $200!

    Kelly
    http://KellysLuckyYou.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Your daughter and the dress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She ia beautiful! I'm your newest follower from the Friday Follows. Nice blog! Hope to see you at Dropped Stitches.

    Erin Wallace
    droppedstitches72.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the sweetest dress! You did such a fabulous job on it! I also love the little hair clip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress and clip! The child is precious too! I love it when my kids tell people I made their clothes, it is such a good feeling! Stopped by from TTandJ!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey little sis. Love the dress and the hair pretty, but most of all, love the girl. These pictures of her are amazing! I want a hair pretty just like it! Help me make one. Pretty please! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first day of school? That IS big stuff. Your daughter is gorgeous. I absolutely love the dress you made her and the flower in her hair. That first picture is beautiful! I hope she loves her first day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute dress! And cute girl too! I'd love it if you'd stop by my Topsy Turvy Tuesday Link party and add this beginning of school dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's sooo cute!! I'm feeling a little guilty though, b/c my 5 yr-old has her assessment on Thursday and I haven't even considered making anything as darling as your dress!!!
    Visting from justsewsassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. darling dress! darling girl! what pattern/tutorial did you use would luv to make one for my 5 year old she wears dresses 95% of the time

    ReplyDelete
  13. I added the link for the pattern at the end of the post. Thanks for all the great feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cutie! I love that sweet dress and the matching flower! Good luck Mom;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute! I am your newest follower from the blog hop!

    Hope you can come visit my blog
    http://shining2save.com

    Have a great day!

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for coming to my party! I really love this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking up to Take-A-Look Tuesday on Sugar Bee Craft Edition - I featured you today! Mandy, www.craftedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love the Popover Dress pattern. I have made a bunch of them. Yours is super cute and your little model is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I Love it! Most children in Australia wear a school uniform, so it must be lovely to keep the sweet girly theme going at school - and what a sweetie! I'm now following along for you - like me you are "frugalicious" Check out both my (new) business blogs @ http://louandjane.blogspot.com/ and http://homemadeforkids.blogspot.com/ All, the best, Jane:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so darling! Isn't it fun to sew for that age? Thanks for linking with Fabric Fun Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ADORABLE! Thanks for sharing the link to the pattern as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The dress & flower clip are beautiful! I love that the flower is different! Thanks for sharing!
    Rachelle S.

    ReplyDelete